We both like the McDonald’s breakfast Egg McMuffin, but with cheese and white bread, it’s not a healthy meal. Instead I decided to cook the healthy & tasty version!
First I made my husband’s Sandwich with Dijonaise, 2 eggs, and 2 slices of turkey. I served it with some fresh fruit. Next I made my Sandwich with chili Aioli, spinach, tomato, and 2 eggs. After I assembled my Sandwich, I turned around to ask him how his Sandwich tasted, and his plate was already empty! Not even a crumb was left… so obviously he recommends this recipe… very highly.
Start your morning off right! This recipe is prepared with no dairy, it’s low in fat and high in fiber. I also included a vegetarian version — no meat is necessary, as the eggs supply plenty of protein.
- Whole grain sandwich rounds
- Eggs (2 per sandwich)
- Aioli or Dijonaise or mayo or mustard
- Turkey lunch meat (optional)
- Spinach or lettuce
- Optional: Onion sliced thin; avocado slices
- Heat pan with 1 teaspoon of olive oil (or less if using non-stick cookware)
- Break the eggs into a bowl, taking care not to break the yolks.
- Slip the eggs into the heated pan, gently. (If you have an egg circle tool, you can use it your griddle.)
- Cook the eggs until the yolks are either hard or slightly running, depending on your eater’s preference.
- While the eggs are cooking, brown the turkey lunch meat in a pan.
- Mix up the Aioli or Dijonaise. For a spicy tomato aioli, mix 4 parts mayo to 1 part taco sauce. For Dijonaise, mix 4 parts mayo to 1 part Dijon mustard.
- Toast the sandwich rounds.
- Slice the tomato.
- Wash the spinach.
10. Spread the toasted sandwich rounds with Aioli or Dijonaise.
11. Place the spinach and tomato (and optional onion and avocado) on the bottom of each sandwich.
12. Place the meat on top of that.
13. Place the eggs on the top half of the sandwich. Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper if desired.
Garnish with fresh fruit and serve.
Try the McSandwich served with fried potatoes! For great taste and nutrition, try the following fried potato combos:
- Potatoes, carrots, celery, onion
- Potatoes, yams, green onions
- Potatoes, zucchini (or other squash), tomatoes
- Potatoes, pumpkin, eggplant
Cook the potatoes first, then add the other veggies and cook until done, yet still firm. Season with salt, fresh ground black pepper, and fresh snippets of herbs.
ENJOY! Here’s to your health and taking care of your “temple” (your body).